Saturday, August 6, 2011

3D model created with my new 3D camera

A couple of days ago I got my new Fujifilm Finepix W3 camera. Its a real 3D camera that snap two photos at the same time (one for each eye). The photos can then be viewed in 3D if you have a monitor or TV that supports it. But that's not why I bought it...
It is perfect for creating 3D models. It is much simpler to create 3D models with this than with a normal digital camera since both pictures are shot at exactly the same time and with a perfect angle of each other. I have spent some time since I got it to make my programs support MPO files (which is the file format created by the 3D camera) and now I think it works.
The result of one of my first attempts below, first the pictures snapped by the camera, and then a shaded model and a textured model.
View the model in real 3D here (if your browser supports WebGL like Firefox or Chrome).


First photo
Second photo

Shaded model viewed in SketchUp

Textured model viewed in SketchUp

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Per

    Nice job, what make you chose this camera?
    I whant to buy one.

    Best Achim

    joachim@itsawrap.se

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks. I've bought the Fujifilm Finepix W3 camera because it had good scores in some reviews and was relatively cheap. I am very pleased with it works fine as a normal 2D camera as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried to make a full 3D model?

    ReplyDelete