Monday, August 8, 2011

Answers to some relevant questions

After my last blog post I've received some relevant questions which I will now answer:

Do you really need a 3D camera to create 3D models?
No! You only need a normal digital camera (or a cellphone with a camera). The important thing is how you shoot your photos. Just any photos can not be converted to 3D models, only the ones that you have shot with some skills. And if you use a normal digital camera, you need to take much more care when shooting your photos than if you do if you use a real 3D camera.
View the figure below, if you use a normal digital camera, you will need to take two photos with a small distance between the two photo shots. This is what the 3D camera does for you, it is after all only two "normal" cameras built into one.
Angle/Distance between photo shots if you use a normal digital camera

How do you convert the photos to 3D models? And can I do this to?
To create the 3D models I use the webpage www.photo-to-3d.com/model.html where I simply upload my photos and wait for the 3D model to be calculated (normally within 5-10 minutes). The webpage is public for anyone to use.
But remember that not just any photo can be converted to 3D, you must have some skills when making the two photo shots. (or use a 3D camera if you want it to be simple).

What program do you recommend for viewing/editing 3D models created from photos?
I recomend Google SketchUp, I use it myself. It is easy to use and 3D models created from www.photo-to-3d.com can be imported as 3DS files.




No comments:

Post a Comment